[Grand Lodge]
[Calendar] [Search] [Resources] [History] [Links] [Sitemap]
Bluenose
Celebrated racing ship and hard-working fishing vessel, Bluenose became a provincial icon for Nova Scotia, and an important Canadian symbol in the 1930s. Designed by William Roué and built by Smith and Rhuland, Bluenose was launched at Lunenburg, Nova Scotia on 26 March 1921. The ship was later sold to work as a freighter in the West Indies and was wrecked on a coral reef near Haiti on 28 January 1946.
Three of the four owners: Captain Angus Walters, E. Fenwick Zwicker and his brother Arthur H. Fenwick were members of Unity Lodge No.4 in Lunenburg. According to his granddaughter Joan Roué, William J. Roué, the naval architect who designed Bluenose, was a member of a lodge in Dartmouth and many of the men in the Lunenburg shipyard that built her along with many of her crew were also Freemasons. Other known members of the Craft, mostly from Unity Lodge, who helped build or sail Bluenose include Arthur Corkum, Harold Corkum, Lawrence Allen, George Myra, Bordon Anderson, Tom Black, Perry Conrad, Matthew Mitchell, Merrill Tanner, Ellesworth Greek, Maurice Zinc, and Danny Mosher.
BIOGRAPHIES INDEX | CURIOSITIES INDEX

Source: The Watermark, Larry Burden, editor. Vol. 3 Issue 6. June 2013. p. 3.

ANTI-MASONRY | ESSAYS & PAPERS | GRAND LODGE OF BC AND YUKON | HOME | LINKS | SITEMAP
[Anti-masonry]

© 1871-2017 Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon A.F. & A.M. Updated: 2014/05/12
freemasonry.bcy.ca/curiosities/bluenose/index.html