[Search]
[Calendar] [Search] [Resources] [History] [Links] [Sitemap]
Charles Taze Russell Monument
Pyramid Shape Monument
The "Pyramid Shape Monument"—as it is described in the programme for the 31 October 1921 convention of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society (IBSA)—was designed by John A. Bohnet of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, "and accepted by Russell". The project to erect the monument proceeded under the direction of Joseph Franklin Rutherford, the society's president. Bohnet was appointed a board member of the Watch Tower by Rutherford, after Russell's death.
Russell's fascination with the Great Pyramid—unrelated to Freemasonry—is well known. "The capstone, itself a perfect pyramid, is patterned after the capstone of the Great Pyramid of Egypt, symbolic of the Christ."
Directors of the Watch Tower Society, R.J. Martin, Giovanni DeCecca, F.H. Robinson, C.J. Woodworth, and W.E. VanAmburg, were joined on 12 July, 1917 by Rutherford appointees, Dr. W. E. Spill and Brother J. A. Bohnet, of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and Brother George H. Fisher, of Scranton, Pennsylvania; and Brother A. H. Macmillan, of New York
It is no great surprise that none of the men named have been identified as freemasons but the claim continues to be made that the Russell monument is somehow masonic.
CHARLES TAZE RUSSELL

See: Joseph Franklin Rutherford, Harvest Siftings (1917).

ANTI-MASONRY | ESSAYS & PAPERS | GRAND LODGE | HOME | LINKS | SITEMAP
[Anti-masonry]

© 1871-2017 Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon A.F. & A. M. Updated: 2012/11/15
freemasonry.bcy.ca/biography/russell_c/pyramid_monument.html